Tuesday, December 7, 2010

As It Turns Out. . .



And Ruth the Moabite said to Naomi, ‘Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor.’ Naomi said to her, ‘Go ahead, my daughter.’ 3 So she went out, entered a field and began to glean behind the harvesters. As it turned out, she was working in a field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelek.” Ruth 2:2-3


A month and a half ago I was working at the school when my husband called. He told me to come home. He needed to talk to me. When we talked he explained to me why he had resigned from his work at Citychurch. We read the scripture from Matthew together.


Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

It is compelling to remember our Savior who is “gentle and humble in heart.” He sees our struggles and pain. He wants us to bring our weary selves to Him and trade in our heavy burden for the task He created for us and designed us for.

The next morning I woke up and out of obedience and dedication I went back to work at the school. When I sat down at my desk I wanted to cry. I missed working with my husband and for the first time in my life at Citychurch I felt like I didn’t belong there.

I fully intended to stay at The King’s Academy. I prayed for God bring healing to our hearts and give us joy again. In my mind I can see the vision for the school. I have plans in my head for starting the middle school and high school; however I am apparently not the person to see those plans through. After all it is THE KING’S ACADEMY. I have watched God provide in miraculous ways over the last three years and am confident in His ability to continue to provide leadership

I would like to stop here and say how thankful I am for the teachers God sent to the school. What a joy to share in our trials, joys, and ministry to the students together. They have been my dearest friends and I thank God for them. Each have a deep and real relationship with Jesus and they faithfully demonstrate that love to their students who are desperately in need of it.

I have not left without a fight. The decision was made for me. While I have tried to practice restraint I have experienced a full spectrum of emotions and am sorry if I have said or done anything hurtful during this time.

The truth is when I get alone with God the only clear instructions I have received is His voice telling me to yield. Yield to His will to His plan and to His healing.

I have much to be thankful for. I have had the rare experience of living a dream. Serving with my father in the ministry was a indescribable blessing. He never held me back and he saw potential in me to do more than I ever thought I could. At the same time he never cared if I accomplished a thing. He just loved me because I was his daughter. I have missed him everyday since he went to be with Jesus and always will.

Over the years my mother has rocked my babies so I could come downtown and make myself useful. She’s listened to me complain, apologize for complaining, then complain some more over the pressures of life as a mother and wife. Nana has won the hearts of my children by allowing them to do who-knows-what when Chad and I aren’t looking. She’s invested her life in me and I try to honor her always.

Still Chad and I have had to deal with a lot of difficult realities lately. Life as we have known it is no more. We have sought God daily with all humility and prayed desperately for His guidance through this storm. We’ve prayed for protection so our hearts do not grow cold.

The one encouragement we have is to look back at how God took our little ill prepared, no talent selves and has used us in the past. So once again we will offer up our “less than nothing” to The Creator. Our desire is that He will make use of our lives again in a way that brings glory to His name.

Next week we will begin the process of putting our house on the market. We plan to move to Oklahoma City this month to be close to Chad’s family. Our first goal will be to make a living for our family then find a way to minister to others.

I love the word of God. It has been said that for a child of God the storms of life serve only to cast them upon the rock of His promises. I always return to the life of Ruth.

She was widowed but made a covenant to her mother-in-law Naomi to be a companion. Together, Naomi who had lost her sons and husband and Ruth set out to return to the land of Judah. I love how the story tells of Ruth asking Naomi’s permission to go out in the field and pick up grain that was dropped. Ruth wasn’t going to spend the day pouting, feeling sorry for herself or blaming others. Ruth was obedient to do what she could do.

The rest of the verse describes in a few short words a world of God’s faithfulness. “...As it turned out, she was working in a field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelek.” Those words keep ringing in my ears “As it turns out.” We know now that it was no accident Ruth ended up in the field of the one man in the whole universe who could redeem her destitution.

As it turns out, God showed His good favor to Ruth that day and caused Boaz to notice her. Through Boaz Ruth and Naomi were redeemed and through Obed, the house of David. Through the house of David our Redeemer Jesus. God promises to bless faith and obedience. It is the only way we will ever see fruit of His Holy Spirit at work in us.

I will ask you to pray for us during this transition time. I will try to share as I can what we’re up to. I can’t promise it will be very pretty, but it will be honest. Thank you to each of you who have offered your friendship and encouragement. You will never know how you’ve blessed Chad and me.


“For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.” I Timothy 2:12





No comments:

Post a Comment