Sunday, April 24, 2011

Muddy Easter



This morning Chad and I woke to a bolt of lightening followed directly by a loud clap of thunder. If it's true that the distance can be told by how many seconds pass between the two, I'd say the storm was at our front door. The sound of rain hitting our window replaced the sun that would usually shine through.

Already, we had cancelled the outdoor Easter picnic plans because of the chance of rain and cold temperatures. We were hoping it would atleast hold off until after church this morning.

Last week was beautiful. Kids were out playing so we just opened up the front door. We fed lots of kids and our families breakfast then I taught 12 children in Sunday School under the tree.

This week, Chad was ready to preach his first Easter sermon, but I had to pare down my lesson plans for lack of space and participants in doors.

Still one faithful little family, the Balderas' came across the yard with a hot breakfast in hand.

For Ruby's birthday her Mimi and Papa had given her a perfectly white polka dot dress which she wore this morning with her light pink tights and white shoes.

After they had eaten breakfast, while the adults were still visiting, the kids went straight out the front door to play like they always do.

Ruby lead the way. David and Josiah came back in immediately. They're not crazy! It was rainy and cold.

About five minutes later Sean came up to the door with Ruby. Ruby ran through the front door giggling and scot free, but not Sean! Sean was covered knee deep in red Oklahoma MUD!

I jumped up from my seat and stopped him at the door. Made him leave his boots off, but his socks and pants were soaked and muddy.

I took him back to the room, scolding him all the way. Really I was upset with myself for letting him go outside in the first place.

We replaced his pants and he put on his sandles. While I huffed and puffed about it he said, "Mom, do you know why Ruby didn't get muddy but I did? I saw her about to step in the mud and I had already stepped in it so I picked her up and carried her to you."

Now, having been a mom for a while, I'm sure this may have been a clever attempt to get himself off the hook. But tonight, as I think about what Sean did, it is a picture of what Jesus does for His children.

One day we will stand before our Heavenly father. The only explanation for the stain of sin missing off of our lives will be when Jesus comes to our defense.

2 Corinthians 5:21 says

"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

It is only through Jesus we can be made clean and granted access to the Father. Because He bore our sin on the cross. On this day and every other I am so thankful for this truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment