Friday, February 18, 2011

Witnessing to Tobacco Girl

So there is a lady at work who doesn't seem to like me very much. From what I gather she's upset because they hired me for a shift she wanted, or thought she was going to get. I've tried to be nice to her, but last night she embarrassed me in front of a customer. I was really dreading going to work today. Patly because of this lady and I was having too much fun with Ruby and Sean.

Now, before I leave the impression of somehow being a self righteous nut job, I need to explain. There is nothing about my life worth bragging about right now and I'm painfully aware of it. As a matter of fact it's hilarious to me my new job requires me to smile and be polite all day. There is no explanation for how I'm dealing other than the Holy Spirit at work in me. I literally drove home the other day defiantly singing, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. . . and if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack!"

My flesh does cry out! I get worn down, but refuse to hand a victory over in the form of a bad attitude to the enemy.

For a few minutes before my shift started today I just sat in the car for a while, staring at the parking lot, telling God how much I didn't want to go inside. I had my Bible and somehow found my way to I Corinthians 15:58. Closing my Bible I prayed out loud, "God, I'm holding on to Your Word like the last rung on the monkey bars. My belief in who You are and the hope that You'll use my life is all I have." Before I finished praying I asked God to help me be a witness to the other ladies I work with today.

The first part of my shift was alright; then the lady who has been giving me grief came on shift. She was in a slightly better mood.

About two hours before my shift ended the phone rang.

She answered, looked stunned, looked at me and said, "They asked if I was ready for Jesus to come back."

"What?" I asked

She said, "I answered the phone and the person on the other line just asked me if I was ready for when Jesus comes back." We all were laughing and I said, "Well. . . I am. I'd love for Jesus to come back.. . right now!"

She laughed at me and said, "then you get to handle that call."

Later, the cashier who they call, "Tobacco girl" (because she stands at customer service with us and sells the cigarettes) said the phone call got her thinking. As traffic slowed in the store she started asking me about where I went to school and how long I planned to work for Walmart. Then she asked me, "How do you know what you're doing with your life?"

Just to clarify, I asked, "What do you mean?"

She asked again, "I mean, how do you know what your supposed to do, or if you're doing the right thing? Because I'm not sure if I'm doing what I need to do with my life. "

I explained that right now was a difficult time for my family, but my faith in Jesus sustains me everyday and His word directs my steps through life. "I know that's right." she responded. I asked her if she had a church home since she seemed to understand when I talked about faith. She said she doesn't really go anywhere. I invited her to come to our Bible Study this week. And told her she could be a hero to her kids by studying the word of God and teaching them about Jesus. She said she'd like to come if we could pick her up. Her car is in the shop.

1 comment:

  1. Sweetie you have an amazing mission in life. Not only your family, apt complex and new house church - but now you are the witness to those at Wal-mart. May your many ministires be blessed because of your faithfulness to HIM!

    ReplyDelete